Advice on Shareholder Agreements
SPEAK TO THE EXPERTS
Non-complicated results-driven corporate and commercial solutions.
THE SHAREHOLDER AGREEMENT LAWYER YOU CAN TRUST
When starting a company, it is important that due consideration is given to the agreements that will help shape and support your business plan.
One of the most important documents that need to be put into place is the Shareholders Agreement which outlines the rights and obligations of the shareholders of the company.
Shareholders agreements are a legal document that provides the framework for how decisions are made within the company, how disputes should be managed and the voting power of the respective shareholders. Clarifying these important aspects of the company can help provide a stable foundation and pave the way for a successful future for your company.
A company’s shareholder agreement is a legally binding contract negotiated by the business shareholders of a company outside the Corporations Act to:
- Govern their relationship and business arrangements;
- Detail their rights, responsibilities, obligations and liabilities; and
- Protect their interests — with regard to their particular circumstances.
It regulates matters not covered by a company constitution and is therefore supplementary to a company’s constitution.
At GLG Legal, we understand the critical importance of a well-structured shareholders agreement to safeguard your business interests and promote harmonious relationships among stakeholders. We aim to maintain your shareholders agreement and resolve any company disputes. When you choose us for your shareholders agreement needs, you’re choosing a commercial law expert with a track record of excellence and a commitment to your success.
HOW CAN GLG LEGAL HELP?
Our team of legal experts will be able to provide legal advice and assistance with:
- Drafting Shareholders Agreements: A GLG Legal shareholder agreement lawyer will create a tailored agreement that reflects the particular needs and goals of your business and its shareholders.
- Negotiation: We facilitate negotiations among shareholders to reach a consensus on the terms of the agreement that reflects shareholder rights.
- Ownership Structure: We advise on the structure of share ownership, including the issuance of different classes of shares, preferred shares, and restrictions on transferring shares to ensure that ownership is clearly defined.
- Exit Strategies: We help outline exit strategies if a shareholder decides to exit the company, including buy-sell provisions, rights of first refusal, restructuring the company’s assets, and mechanisms for selling shares in the event of retirement, disability, or death.
- Dispute Resolution: Our shareholder dispute resolution lawyers help resolve disputes among your company’s shareholders. Our shareholder dispute lawyers will work alongside you to ensure a solution is found on just and equitable grounds.
- Corporate Governance: We assist in establishing governance mechanisms for multiple shareholders. This may involve setting guidelines for the board of directors’ composition, how to appoint directors, meetings, and company decisions.
- Confidentiality and Non-Compete Clauses: A shareholder agreement lawyer will include clauses in the agreement that protect the company’s confidential information and restrict shareholders from engaging in competitive activities that could harm the business.
- Amendments and Updates: As circumstances change, we help clients amend and update their shareholder agreements to reflect new conditions or agreements among business partners and shareholders.
- Enforcement: If shareholder disputes arise between majority shareholders or a business partner, or if shareholders violate the agreement, a shareholder dispute lawyer will enforce the terms through legal action or other dispute resolution methods.
- Compliance: We ensure that the shareholders agreement complies with federal and state laws, as well as any industry-specific regulations that may apply to your business.
- Due Diligence: When clients are considering entering into a shareholders agreement, a shareholder agreement lawyer will conduct due diligence to assess potential risks and liabilities associated with the agreement and its terms.
WHY CHOOSE GLG LEGAL?
When you choose GLG Legal for your shareholder agreement needs, you’re selecting a team of experienced and dedicated lawyers who understand the intricacies of a company’s affairs. Our commitment to excellence and personalised service sets us apart as your trusted shareholder agreement lawyer.
In the event of directors’ disputes that may jeopardise your company’s stability or your own interests, our shareholder agreement lawyers stand ready to provide astute legal guidance and resolution strategies. We handle shareholders disputes with care, from stages of enforcement to commercial litigation.
Our lawyers have a deep understanding of the ever-evolving landscape of shareholder agreements, having acted for both shareholders and directors. We leverage our extensive experience to craft tailored agreements that align with your business objectives and the unique dynamics of your company. Whether you’re a start-up, a growing enterprise, or an established corporation, we have the expertise to cater to your specific needs.
At GLG Legal, we prioritise clear and open communication. We’ll work closely with you to ensure that every aspect of your shareholder agreement is comprehensible and addresses your concerns. Our lawyers are dedicated to providing you with insightful legal advice, empowering you to make informed decisions that benefit your business.
VISIT THE BLOG.
Developing a property or piece of land comes with its own risks and rewards but what does it mean when a contract says, “subject to development approval”? Developers and real estate agents often use a subject to development approval clause from a previous contract,...
Article by Peter Lee, Property Law Accredited Specialist There has been plenty of public debate lately about sunset dates and the termination of contracts. Mainly these focus on the plight of buyers who signed a contract years ago at what was then market prices,...
Property Lawyer Joins GLG Legal GLG Legal is excited to announce that Mark Jenvey, a property lawyer with over 20 years of experience has joined the firm as Special Counsel in Brisbane. Mark brings a wealth of expertise and capability in commercial, industrial and...